Habitat Conservation Committee
Type of Committee: SPECIAL / STANDING
To conserve and enhance all life stage habitats essential (rivers and lakes) for sustainable lake sturgeon populations.
- Establish crucial habitat for the long term sustainability of lake sturgeon stocks with emphasis on habitat restoration and enhancement for all life stages.
- To facilitate and fund, in conjunction with habitat partners, the implementation of assessments, restoration, enhancement, and monitoring of sturgeon habitats for all life stages.
- Develop a strategy to increase the potential to quantify natural recruitment.
- Identify and remedy obstacles that may be inhibiting natural reproduction.
- Stabilize streambanks where erosion is compromising the integrity of habitat.
- Collaborate with FERC and Tower-Kleber Limited Partnership to maintain run-of-river mode.
- Use telemetry to identify ideal habitats for each stage of development.
- Continue participation in the interagency group developing lake sturgeon fishways.
Coordination with Other Resources:
- All Committees and Board of Directors.
- Co-ordinate efforts with MDNR FMFM, Huron Pines, Tip-of-the-Mitt Watershed Council, Upper Black River Restoration Committee, Burt Lake Preservation Association, Mullett Area Preservation Society, Cheboygan County/Townships, and any/all other fisheries habitat conservation agencies and funders.
- Home Page
- Black Lake
- Black Lake Watershed
- Black Lake Sturgeon Management Plan
- Contact Us
- Habitat Conservation
- Our History
- Photo Gallery
- Resources for Educators
- SFT Articles
- SFT Scholarships
- Spearing Guidelines
- State Regulations
- Sturgeon Guarding
- Sturgeon Hatchery
- Sturgeon in the Classroom