February 2-3, 2018
Sturgeon For Tomorrow will be hosting the Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree February 2-3, 2018. Activities for the Shivaree will again be in the entertainment tent on Black Lake in front of the former Black Lake Hotel. The Shivaree will coincide with the opening of the Black Lake Sturgeon season which opens on Saturday, February 3. Proceeds from the Shivaree will fund lake sturgeon hatchery, research, habitat conservation, and outreach programs.
- Shivaree Flyer
- Ice Fishing Contest — Registration Form
- Poker Run — Rules & Registration Form
- Horseshoe Tournament — Registration Form
- Shivaree Raffle
And be sure to check out our Facebook page.
Sturgeon For Tomorrow, Brenda Archambo, , 231-625-2776.
Thank you SHIVAREE SPONSORS
Calendar of Events
Friday, February 2: Starting at 3pm
- Register for Ice Fishing Contest and Poker Run Registration
- Register for Sturgeon Fishing: 2pm-7pm at 211 DNR Field Station
- 3pm-6pm: Music with Charlie Reager
- 6pm-7pm: Cultural Sturgeon Ceremony
- 7pm-11pm: Polar Bear Recon, entertainment tent (21+)
Saturday, February 3:
- 8am-2pm: Sturgeon Spearing Season Opening Day
- Entertainment Tent: Cabin Fever Social, Food, Beverages, 50/50 Raffles, Bonfire
- 8am-6pm: Ice Fishing Contest: Sturgeon, Muskie, Pike, Walleye and Perch
- 11am-7pm: Poker Run 211, Lorenzo’s, Bluffs, Dirty Duck and the Pines
- 10:30am-4:30pm: Entertainment Tent Music: Evan Archambo, soloist and DJ
- 11am-4pm: Youth Outdoor Education with Natureology Maureen Stine, Live sturgeon Exhibit
- 1:00pm-5pm: Horseshoe Tournament on the ice (register 12:30pm in the tent)
- 6pm-10pm: Entertainment Tent: The Blitz (21+)
- 7pm-9pm: Announce Ice Fishing Contest, Poker Run and Shivaree Raffle Winners
The Black Lake Shivaree was first introduced in 1961
The Shivaree on Black Lake celebrated the iconic lake sturgeon and brought together thousands of visitors and residents to beautiful northern Michigan.
In addition to sturgeon season, the event included outdoor queen contests with formal gowns and formal dinners for the contestants at the Black Lake Hotel, a giant snow stage, complete with a big block of snow that was watered down nightly for weeks to make a frozen staircase. This was a fantastic community event and an economic boom for the region. It drew people from throughout Michigan and the Midwest, filled motel rooms, restaurants, bars and shops in the region and was a significant cultural experience.
Please JOIN US as we celebrate the Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree!!
- Home Page
- Black Lake
- Black Lake Watershed
- Black Lake Sturgeon Management Plan
- Contact Us
- Habitat Conservation
- Our History
- Photo Gallery
- Resources for Educators
- SFT Articles
- SFT Scholarships
- Spearing Guidelines
- State Regulations
- Sturgeon Guarding
- Sturgeon Hatchery
- Sturgeon in the Classroom