Type of Committee: SPECIAL / STANDING
To facilitate, assist and fund, in conjunction with research agencies, the implementation of scientific research to rehabilitate Lake Sturgeon populations.
- PRIMARY: To replenish, restore and encourage the natural reproduction of the Lake Sturgeon population in the Cheboygan River Watershed to self-sustaining levels.
- SECONDARY: Assist in an effort to replenish and restore Lake Sturgeon populations statewide.
- To facilitate research in the Assessment, Restoration and Enhancement of spawning habitat.
- Assist in the annual netting and tagging of adults during the spawning run with that information used to set harvest quotas.
- Provide support for scientific research and equipment necessary to aid in Lake Sturgeon recovery.
- Develop a strategy to aid natural reproduction and natural recruitment.
- Partner with Academia and fisheries researchers
- Work with DNR and tribes on sampling and surveys to collect biological data and life history of the lake sturgeon
- Use telemetry to identify ideal habitats for each stage of development.
- HATCHERY—Utilize lake sturgeon spawning stocks
- Collect larval samples
- Gamete takes
COORDINATION WITH OTHER RESOURCES:
- All Committees and Board of Directors.
- Coordinate efforts with:
- Tip-of-the-Mitt Watershed Council
- Lake Associations
- Indian Tribes
- Upper Black River Restoration Committee and
- any/all other fisheries habitat conservation agencies
- Home Page
- Black Lake
- Black Lake Watershed
- Black Lake Sturgeon Management Plan
- Contact Us
- Habitat Conservation
- Our History
- Photo Gallery
- Resources for Educators
- SFT Articles
- SFT Scholarships
- Spearing Guidelines
- State Regulations
- Sturgeon Guarding
- Sturgeon Hatchery
- Sturgeon in the Classroom