February 5-6, 2016
Sturgeon For Tomorrow presents the Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree. Proceeds to fund lake sturgeon hatchery, research, habitat conservation, and outreach programs.
The Shivaree will coincide with the opening of Black Lake Sturgeon season which opens on Saturday, February 5. Activities will be on Black Lake in front of the former Black Lake Hotel: 1701 Winifred Street, Cheboygan, MI 49721
2015 Shivaree Video Compliments of Sunrise Communications.
Dear 2014 Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree Sponsor,
Thank you for sponsoring the 2015 Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree! The Shivaree was wildly successful with well over 2,000 guests and participants attending.
Shivaree has such an enthusiastic vibe (pardon the pun)! Many diverse guests thanked us (and you) for bringing this longstanding cultural event back to Black Lake. Many stories were told and the camaraderie was enlightening. Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely and advocated loudly to see the Shivaree continue. Mark your calendars now for the 2016 Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree, February 5-6, 2016!
The Black Lake Sturgeon Season opened Saturday, February 7th at 8am with 303 registered anglers (up from 228 in 2014). With a quota of five fish, season closed opening day at about 1:27pm. James Bodinger of Wisconsin harvested the largest sturgeon weighing in at 80 pounds, 69 inches in length.
Summary of Events
- Candlelight Ceremony : SFT president Brenda Archambo conducted a Candlelight Ceremony in Jimmie Mitchell’s absence. About 200 participants paid homage to the sturgeon available for harvest. Candles were lit, lanterns were flown and fireworks were released into the night sky in honor of the sturgeon.
- Youth Activities: Maureen Stine of Natureology entertained children by setting up a portable shanty and having underwater viewing, jigging, casting, face painting and the children painted lead -free jigs that they were able to take home. All children were given a ‘Sturgy Activity Book’ to take home as well.
- Ice Fishing Contest: Sponsored by the Black Lake Sportsman’s Club: 166 registered anglers (up from 120 in 2014) $1,330.00 Payout.
- Poker Run: 52 players, $840.00 payout to David H. from Howell. David donated back $100.00—Thank you!!!
- Shivaree Raffle: Ken A. from Cheboygan won the Custom Ice Chain Saw, Don K. from Howell won the Jiffy Ice Auger and Leian E. from Harbor Springs won the Frabill Portable Shanty. Congratulations winners!
- Entertainment Tent: A great time was had by all with Mike Ridley, Billy Jewell and His Bad Habits, Charlie Reager, Johnnie Walker-DJ2xTrubL, and The Blitz Band rock’n down the house!! Also Elvis (impersonator) surprised us Saturday afternoon and sang a few hip-swinging songs. He was actually sturgeon fishing earlier in the day.
- Manzana’s Deli and Alverno Fire Dept served some warm and great refreshments.
- Volunteers! Over 100 volunteers helped and are the lifeblood of making this event run smoothly. A huge thank you to all! A special thank you to our volunteer coordinator Patty Archambo and to Deb McCall for event management.
- For the Sturgeon: We raised over $31,000! Proceeds will be allocated for the lake sturgeon hatchery, research, habitat conservation, and outreach-education programming including Sturgeon in the Classroom. Plus we will allocate funds for start-up money for 2016 Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree.
- Sturgeon In the Classroom: Cheboygan Middle School Teacher Ann Douglas displayed the young-of-year, 8” lake sturgeon “Bubbles” in a aquarium inside the tent. Everyone loved Bubbles! (The students named Bubbles because he/she loves hanging out in the tank by the air bubbles :-)
On behalf of the iconic lake sturgeon and the Board of Directors of Sturgeon For Tomorrow, we sincerely appreciate your generosity and hope you will continue to support us in our future endeavors.
Thank You Shivaree Sponsors & Supporters
- 102.9 Big Country Hits
- 211 Bar and Grill
- Rock 105
- Huron Distributors
- Sturgeon For Tomorrow
- Sunrise Communications
- Milus Allison
- Archambo Electric
- Awakon Federal Credit Union
- Burns and Eustice Insurance
- Cabin Bar and Grill
- Citizens National Bank
- Indian River Sports Center
- Moran Iron Works
- Ocqueoc Outfitters
- Presque Isle Electric and Gas
- Republic Waste Services
- Serve Pro of Novi & Bloomfield, Bill, Mike and Jeff Hannon
- Straits Area Federal Credit Union
- 211 Outpost
- Aurora Gas
- Black Lake Sportsman's Club
- Black Lake UAW Family Education Center
- City of Onaway – Sturgeon Capitol of Michigan
- Natureology (Youth Activities)
Ice Fishing Contest
- Black Lake Sportsman’s Club
Friends of the Shivaree
- Kevin Borowiak
- Home Page
- Black Lake
- Black Lake Watershed
- Contact Us
- Habitat Conservation
- Our History
- Photo Gallery
- Resources for Educators
- SFT Articles
- SFT Scholarships
- Spearing Guidelines
- State Regulations
- Sturgeon Guarding
- Sturgeon Hatchery
- Sturgeon in the Classroom