February 1-2, 2013
Sturgeon For Tomorrow presents the Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree.
Activities for this event will be on Black Lake in front of the former Black Lake Hotel: 1701 Winifred Street, Cheboygan, MI 49721
Thank you to our Shivaree Sponsors
- Milus Allison
Friends of the Shivaree
- Lori Sutton
Calendar of Events
Proceeds to fund lake sturgeon hatchery, research, habitat conservation, and outreach programs.
Friday, Feb 1: Starting at 12pm
- Register for Events: FISHING CONTEST & POKER RUN
- Register for Sturgeon Fishing: 2pm-8pm (211 DNR Field Office)
- Gathering Place - Bar Open
- Food Court: Manzana’s Deli
- Native American Drum: Sturgeon Ceremony by candle light, Jimmie Mitchell, Director of Natural Resources, Little River Band of Odawa Indians, Manistee, MI
- 8pm-12am Dan Frasier, DJ: Northern Light Music - Entertainment tent (21+)
Saturday, Feb 2: Joe Brewbaker, Emcee
- 8am-2pm: Sturgeon Season Opener
- Food Court: Manzana’s Deli, Bar, TV-Video
- 6am-7:15pm: FISHING CONTEST: Sturgeon, Muskie, Pike, Walleye & Perch. 10am register deadline.
- 9am-7pm: POKER RUN (Onaway, Cheboygan, Indian River). 11am register deadline.
- 11am-4pm: Kids Games, Natureology with Maureen Stine
- 12pm-3pm: Mike Ridley
- 3pm-6pm: Evan Archambo, EA Entertainment
- 6:30pm: North Star Figure Skating Club: Laser Light Skating Exhibition
- 7:30pm-8pm: Announce Event Winners
- 8pm-12am: The Blitz, Entertainment Tent (21+)
- SFT Raffles
Events subject to change. The Shivaree will coincide with the opening of Black Lake Sturgeon season which opens on Saturday, February 2.
Sturgeon For Tomorrow plans to bring this annual event back incrementally with a 3 to 5 year plan/vision to make the Shivaree what it used to be back in the day.
Organizers are seeking volunteers and sponsors to make the Shivaree a success. Please contact Brenda at 231-625-2776.
The Black Lake Shivaree was first introduced in 1961.
The Shivaree on Black Lake celebrated the iconic lake sturgeon and brought together thousands of visitors and residents to beautiful northern Michigan.
In addition to sturgeon season, the event included outdoor queen contests with formal gowns and formal dinners for the contestants at the Black Lake Hotel, a giant snow stage, complete with a big block of snow that was watered down nightly for weeks to make a frozen staircase. This was a fantastic community event and an economic boom for the region. It drew people from throughout Michigan and the Midwest, filled motel rooms, restaurants, bars and shops in the region and was a significant cultural experience.
JOIN US as we celebrate the Black Lake Sturgeon Shivaree!!
- Home Page
- 2013 Black Lake
- Black Lake Watershed
- Contact Us
- Habitat Conservation
- Our History
- Photo Gallery
- Resources for Educators
- SFT Articles
- SFT Scholarships
- Spearing Guidelines
- State Regulations
- Sturgeon Guarding
- Sturgeon Hatchery
- Sturgeon News